In our continuing series on Ayurvedic body types and the wellness tips that go along with them, Melissa Freedman of Cleanse Chick, introduces ‘Pitta.’ This series will conclude at the end of the week with a great post on Ayurvedic Cleansing 101. Not sure which body type you are? Make sure to start with the first of this four part series HERE.
|Element||fire and water|
|Body Type||medium body frame, well-proportioned, prone toward muscularity, easily overheated|
|Characteristics||type A personalities, compelled to accomplish things, focused, organized, never misses meals and can be cranky if a meal is skipped (has a strong metabolism), workaholic, doesn’t do well in hot, humid climates, sassy, creates problems that don’t really exist when feeling too balanced, needs to eat often|
|Signs of Balance||productive, get-it-done person, organized, has a capacity to work until they drop, energized, enthusiastic, quick but sharper than vata|
|Signs of Imbalance||easily agitated under stress, irritable, overly competitive and other heat-associated conditions; diarrhea, skin rashes, burning eyes, increased appetite, perspiration, over-working|
|Organs to Nourish||liver, gall bladder, spleen, small intestine, blood, eyes|
|Foods to Reduce||excessive spices that are too heating, red meat|
|Foods to Increase||sweet and bitter foods, cooling and astringent, sweet-tasting spices (cardamom, fennel), protein|
|Beneficial||peppermint tea, fresh lime, lighter proteins (chicken and fish), dark leafy greens (bitter and cooling), sweet vegetables, calming and relaxing physical exercise, pilates, gentle relationships|
- Make choices that are cooling, sweet, and stabilizing.
- Balance rest and activity allowing some free time everyday. Do NOT create unnecessary time pressures for yourself.
- Do NOT skip meals and do not wait until you are famished to eat. Favor foods that are sweet, bitter and astringent. Favor cooling foods such as cucumbers, sweet fruits and melons.
- Regularly spend time in nature. Take walks. Keep plants and fresh flowers in your home and office.
- Perform a daily massage using cooler oils such as coconut or olive.
- Wear colors in your clothing and environment such as blues, greens, and silver.
- Laugh many times each day!
- Favor aromas that are cooling and sweet. Sandalwood, rose, jasmine, mint, lavender, fennel, and chamomile are recommended.
Pitta-Balancing Nutritional Guidelines
Since an excess of Pitta dosha overheats the mind and body, favor cool foods and liquids. Foods with sweet, bitter, and astringent tastes are best. Reduce foods that are pungent, salty, and sour. Eat more wheat, rice, barley, and oats are the best grains to reduce Pitta.
Like wellness articles? Check this one out: 10 Tips That Helped Me Get Past A 7 Year Fitness & Health Plateau (Awkward Selfie Enclosed)
Melissa Freedman is a Certified Health Coach and On Air Personality. Her clients range from Entertainment professionals to entrepreneurs. After suffering from kidney problems, digestive issues, depression and exhaustion, Melissa realized how unhappy she was and turned her life around, founding Cleanse Chick. Her brand, Cleanse Chick helps individuals break free from old habits in order to create a healthy, happy and fulfilling life. Visithttp://www.CleanseChick.com for more about Melissa and her work.